Component 2: a web site developed using Google Sites (20%)
InfoTech is a new, small company with four employees offering consultancy services in the areas of information strategy and systems, IT, business process modelling, etc. As part their e-business strategy they have decided to launch a basic website promoting their services. Your job is to design and create a website for InfoTech meeting the following requirements:
• Website must be created using Google Sites.
• Website must have at least ten pages.
• Website must make good use of images and text to promote the business and staff.
• One page must contain a form that enables potential customers to book an appointment or submit a query.
The exact design of your InfoTech website is up to you to decide; however, credit will be given to students that demonstrate understanding of the more advanced aspects of the module content.
Look and feel of the web site:
• Good use of colour / layout
• Appropriate use of images
• Good menu structure
• Appropriate selection of pages
Business aspects of the web site:
• Clear description of the business
• Effective promotion of the business
Component 3: Data, Information and Knowledge essay (25%)
Your InfoTech website should be accompanied by a brief essay (circa 1,000-1,500 words) explaining the difference between data, information and knowledge. This essay should make use of the academic literature and should also provide examples of how data, information and knowledge can be used in business. This essay should be submitted via Blackboard by the submission deadline and should contain on the title page the URL of your InfoTech website.
Your essay will be assessed on the following criteria:
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of the differences between data, information and knowledge.
• Provides examples that clearly demonstrate these differences in practice.
• Evidence of reading around the topic with reference to a range of academic sources.
• Correct use of the Harvard Referencing system to cite all sources.
This assessment must be submitted electronically via Blackboard
Please ensure you include your InfoTech website URL on the cover of your essay. Failure to include this URL means you will forfeit your marks for the website component of this assessment. Lecturers cannot mark what they cannot access.
Further details and expectations for this assessment will be discussed at preceding lectures and lab sessions.