I need you to write a report for something on research Methods
Using a business problem that is of concern in your workplace or in an organisation that you are familiar with, perform the following tasks:
1. Briefly provide some background information to the organisation.
2. Identify a general business problem or opportunity where a research study could assist decision making.
3. As part of the preliminary information gathering process conduct a brief literature review on the problem area. In writing your review, note that with a literature review the researcher critically analyses what has been written and relates it to the specific problem he or she is addressing. In other words, literature reviews are not about passively accepting and communicating the views of other writers. Employ at least five reference articles in your review.
4. Define the specific research question(s) for the general problem.
5. Identify a qualitative research method (in-depth interviews, focus groups, etc) that could be used to address the identified problem. Justify with reasons, your choice of method.
6. Using the qualitative method discussed in the previous task, develop a qualitative research plan detailing how you would conduct the research that addresses the research question(s).
The research plan should address, at least, the following:
What type of issues/questions should be explored? If using focus group, prepare the moderator's guide; if using in-depth interviews, prepare the interview guide.
How many groups, interviews or case studies would you recommend?
How will you select the sample of research participants?
Location - i.e. where should the interviews /groups be conducted?
How would you propose the data be analysed?
What are the ethical implications of your research, and how will they be addressed?
This assignment is designed to address how the researcher would plan a qualitative research methodology to investigate a business problem. The capacity to know how to identify, collect preliminary information on and develop a research plan for a business problem is critical for business success. This task will help you develop the following learning outcomes: identify a business reserach opportunity; synthesise literature; apply appropriate methods; plan and design a research project; justify the use of qualitative research techniques and discuss ethical issues in business research.
Background, organisation information and broad business problem
Detailed information provided in a succinct form on the organisational context. The business problem is well linked to the organisational context, with a detailed outline of the dimensions of the problem and its significance for the goals of the organisation
Detailed information is provided in a succinct form on the organisational [login to view URL] business problem and its significance to organisational goals is explained. Some gaps in the scope and depth of description.
Poor background on the organisational context is provided, and/or the business problem is poorly specified
Literature review on business problem and specific research questions
The literature review is comprehensive, relevant and demonstrates the ability to synthesise information and to critically reflect on existing research. The research questions are clearly connected to the business problem and to the synthesis of the literature
A thorough attempt is made to synthesise existing research relating to the business problem, to critically reflect on this research, and to frame the research questions based on the business problem and existing research. Gaps in the depth and scope of the literature review
Limited evidence of reading and/or poor synthesis of information and/or critical reflection on reading. The research questions identified are poorly linked to the business problem and/or to existing research
Description and justification for the choice of qualitative research method and qualitative research plan
Demonstrates ability to recognise appropriate research methods and to select a research method/s that is suited to the research questions identified. The research plan is detailed and there are no gaps in the facility of the plan to investigate the research questions
Demonstrated ability to select an appropriate research method/s for the research questions identified. However, gaps are evident in the justification of the choice of research method/s and/or in the facility of the research plan to examine the research questions identified
Poor justification of the research method/s selected. The research plan will not enable satisfactory examination of the research questions identified.
Written expression and presentation
Quality of written expression and presentation conforms fully to academic standards relating to clarity of expression, syntax, grammar, and punctuation. No gaps in referencing technique using the APA 6 referencing system
Some gaps evident in the quality of written expression and presentation. Further work needed in report writing technique, including correct referencing
Poor ability in report writing, with several gaps in the quality of written expression and presentation. Several referencing errors
Creativity and originality of ideas
The report demonstrates a high level of original thinking and creativity in the formulation of the conceptual framework for the study, the research questions, the methods used and the research plan
The report satisfactorily addresses the task and there is some evidence of original and creative thinking. However, for the most part, the report applies existing conceptual frames and associated methods
Little or no evidence of original and creative thinking
A written report is required as part of the requirements of the assignment.
A natural format for a response is to use the tasks listed under assignment task as section headings (appropriately reduced and modified) for the written report.
The report should follow all the standard academic requirements for presentation including an appropriate list of cited references.
You need to appropriately reference all the articles you employ in developing your report. Please use the APA style, information can be found at the CSU Referencing website at [login to view URL]
In preparing the assignment the following conditions must be followed.
1. No actual research involving the collection of primary data from human participants should be performed, i.e., interviews, observation, focus groups, surveys, ..etc.
2. Identities of the organisation and its employees should not be disclosed in the assignment. This means removing any information in the assignment which could potentially identify the organisation and its employees.